Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Music - The Harry Simeone Chorale


The Wonderful Songs of Christmas by the Harry Simeone Chorale is one of my most favorite Christmas albums from my childhood. It was probably released in 1963.

This album exposed my brothers, Sam and Pete, and I to 20th century Christmas standards like Silver Bells, White Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and also much older and more obscure carols like Pat-A-Pan and Masters In This Hall.

I remember my brothers and I helping mom make cookies, decorating the house on Stevens in Minneapolis, or just staring at the colored lights on the tree as this album played in the background.

I remember one Christmas Eve eating dinner while this record was playing. Sam was about 3 years old and I must have been 7. In this album's version of Pat-A-Pan there is an interlude where all the singers whistle. At the point the whistling began, Sam jumped up from his seat, bolted to the living room, and started running around in circles. I'm not sure what that was all about but it sure was cute. The last time I mentioned this incident to him he swore he had no recollection of it ever happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment