Monday, March 14, 2011

Stocking Stuffers - Gummi Bears




I remember being exposed to gummi bears for the first time on a choir trip to Germany in 1981. I came home with stories about them. Santa started to put them in our Christmas stockings around that time. They were completely addictive. I remember inviting my friend Josh over to the house for Christmas day dinner one year about 1983 or '84. We had gotten some big bags of gummi bears in our stockings and Josh helped himself to quite a few. Even after all these years, whenever I mention my friend Josh to my brother Pete, Pete always says "He ate all the gummi bears!"

The following is from Wikipedia:
"A Gummi bear is a small, rubbery-textured confectionery. The candy is roughly 2 centimetres long and shaped in the form of a bear."

"The gummi bear originated in Germany, where it is popular under the name Gummibar (rubber bear) or Gummibarchen (little rubber bear). Hans Riegel Sr., a candy maker from Bonn, started the Haribo company in 1920. Trolli is another gummi candy manufacturer and the first to introduce gummi worms in 1981. Gummi bears are one of the few types of candy to have been turned into a television show."

No comments:

Post a Comment